Thursday, January 16, 2014

Halloween Candy Dot costume

I wanted to make my costume this past Halloween, but I was having trouble coming up with a good idea. I scoured pinterest and came across all the pictures of Katy Perry in her Candy Dot Outfit from her California Girls music video. I saw the knockoffs, and I knew I could make a great costume too. 
I got some white fabric from the fabric store and traced a minidress that fit me, leaving room for the hem. I used my mother's ancient sewing machine to sew the dress, and then came the fun part. 

I bought smooth foam craft balls, a styrofoam cutter, foam brushes, and paint from the craft store.
Supplies!

I looked up all kinds of tools and this one just happened to be readily available
It worked pretty well, as you can see, it sliced the balls right in half. Even boyfriend wanted to help me. The fumes were bad, so open a window if you do this.
I wasn't a pro at cutting straight.

I laid out some paper plastic bags and got to work on painting the ball halfs for the costume. I decided to only do the front, as sitting down is kind of important. 




Each color needed a couple coats. They flaked and peeled a bit before a final coat and then a layer of modge podge. I ended up gluing them to the fabric with Tacky Fabric Glue. It held really well. Costume still intact months later!
Laying them out prior to modge podge

glued on and modge podged. Also added a candy neckline.

And wearing it::

Probably shouldn't have gone with the pink wig. hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment